|Mawson, C.O.S., ed. (18701938). Rogets International Thesaurus. 1922.|
|Class III. Words Relating to Matter|
|Section III. Organic Matter|
| 1. Vitality|
| 1. Vitality in general|
| || |
|NOUN:||LIFE; vitality, viableness, viability; animation.|
VITAL SPARK, vital flame, Promethean spark, lifeblood; respiration, wind; breath of life, breath of ones nostrils; Archeus or Archæus; anima [L.], anima bruta [L.], anima divina [L.], anima mundi [L.]; world -soul, - spirit, - principle; existence [See Existence].
VIVIFICATION; oxygen; vital -air, - force; life force; vitalization; revival; revivification [See Reproduction]; Prometheus; Deucalion and Pyrrha; life to come (destiny) [See Destiny].
a short summer [Johnson]; a bubble [Browne]; a battle [Aurelius]; one demd horrid grind [Dickens].
[SCIENCE OF LIFE] physiology, biology, ætiology or etiology, embryology; animal economy.
NOURISHMENT, staff of life (food) [See Food].
| || |
|VERB:||LIVE; be alive &c. adj.; breathe, respire, suspire; subsist (exist) [See Existence]; walk the earth; (a poor player that) struts and frets his hour upon the stage [Macbeth]; be spared.|
BE BORN, see the light, come into the world; fetch -, draw- -breath, - the breath of life; breathe the vital air; quicken; revive; come to, - life.
GIVE BIRTH TO (produce) [See Production]; bring to life, put into life, vitalize; vivify, vivificate [rare]; reanimate (restore) [See Restoration].
KEEP ALIVE, keep body and soul together, keep the wolf from the door; support life.
have nine lives like a cat.
| || |
|ADJECTIVE:||LIVING, alive; in life, in the flesh, in the land of the living; on this side of the grave, above ground, breathing, quick, animated; animative; lively (active) [See Activity]; alive and kicking [colloq.]; tenacious of life.|
VITAL, vitalic; vivifying, vivified &c. v.; viable, zoëtic; Promethean.
| || |
|ADVERB:||vivendi causâ [L].|
| || |
- Atqui vivere militare est.Seneca
- Non est vivere sed valere vita.Martial
- All that a man has will he give for his life.Bible
- Our life is what our thoughts make it.Aurelius
- In short measures life may perfect be.Jonson
- All is concentrd in a life intense.Byron
- As though to breathe were life!Tennyson
- How good is mans life, the mere living!Browning
- Lifes but a walking shadow.Macbeth
- A little gleam of time between two eternities.Carlyle
- The vital warmth that feeds my life.Otway
- Life, like a dome of many-coloured glass, Stains the white radiance of eternity.Tennyson
- Life, a beauty chased by tragic laughter.Masefield