Suggested by the recollection of Julian's Bower and other
traditions connected with this ancient forest.
On the roadside between Penrith and Appleby, there stands a
pillar with the following inscription:--
"This Pillar was erected, in the year 1656, by Anne Countess
Dowager of Pembroke, &c., for a memorial of her last parting with
her pious mother, Margaret Countess Dowager of Cumberland, on the
2d of April, 1616; in memory whereof she hath left an annuity of
4l. to be distributed to the poor of the parish of Brougham, every
2d day of April for ever, upon the stone table placed hard by.