|Henry James. (18431916). The Portrait of a Lady.|
|The Harvard Classics Shelf of Fiction. 1917.|
|Chapter List of Characters|
- MR. TOUCHETT, an American who has lived in England for many years, head of a banking house in London.
- MRS. TOUCHETT, his wife.
- RALPH TOUCHETT, his son.
- ISABEL ARCHER, The Lady, niece of Mrs. Touchett.
- LORD WARBURTON, a fine specimen of a liberal English peer, friend of Ralph Touchett.
- HENRIETTA STACKPOLE, American friend of Isabel Archer, and a young lady journalist.
- MR. BANTLING, Miss Stackpoles English conquest.
- CASPER GOODWOOD, of Boston, Mass. A young man of determination
- MADAM MERLE, friend of Mrs. Touchett, a woman of the world.
- GILBERT OSMOND, an American gentleman living in retirement in Florence.
- PANSY OSMOND, his daughter.
- EDWARD ROSIER, of the American colony in Paris.
- Several incidental characters, relatives of Lord Warburton and Isabel Archer, two Sisters of Charity, etc., etc.