| The Story of the Volsungs and Niblungs.|
The Harvard Classics. 190914.
|The Story of the Volsungs and Niblungs|
|The Names of Those Who Are Most Noteworthy in This Story|
- SIGI, son of Odin.
- RERIR, son of Sigi, king of Hunland.
- VOLSUNG, son of Rerir.
- SIGMUND, son of Volsung.
- SIGNY, daughter of Volsung.
- SINFOTLI, son of Sigmund and Signy.
- HELGI, son of Sigmund by Borgny.
- SIGURD FAFNIRS-BANE, posthumous son of Sigmund by Hjordis.
- SWANHILD, his daughter, by GUDRUN, Giukis daughter.
- PEOPLE WHO DEAL WITH THE VOLSUNGS BEFORE SIGURD MEETS BRYNHILD
- SIGGEIR, king of Gothland, husband of Signy.
- BORGNY, first wife of Sigmund.
- HJORDIS, his second wife.
- KING EYLIMI, her father.
- HJALPREK, king of Denmark.
- ALF, his son, second husband of Hjordis.
- REGIN, the kings smith.
- FAFNIR, his brother, turned into a dragon.
- OTTER, his brother, slain by Loki.
- HREIDMAR, the father of these brothers.
- ANDVARI, a dwarf, first owner of the hoard of the Niblungs, on which he laid a curse when it was taken from him by Loki.
- GIUKINGS OR NIBLUNGS
- KING GIUKI.
- GRIMHILD, his wife.
- GUNNAR, HOGNI & GUTTORM: sons of Giuki.
- GUDRUN, daughter of Giuki, wife of SIGURD FAFNIRS-BANE.
- ATLI, his son, second husband of GUDRUN.
- BRYNHILD, daughter of Budli, first betrothed and love of SIGURD FAFNIRS-BANE, wife of Gunnar, son of Giuki.
- BEKKHILD, daughter of Budli, wife of Heimir of Hlymdale.
- OTHERS WHO DEAL WITH SIGURD AND THE GIUKINGS
- HEIMER OF HLYMDALE. foster-father of BRYNHILD.
- GLAUMVOR, second wife of Gunnar.
- KOSTBERA, wife of Hogni.
- VINGI, an evil counsellor of King Atli.
- NIBLUNG, the son of Hogni, who helps GUDRUN in the slaying of Atli.
- JORMUNREK, king of the Goths, husband of Swanhild.
- RANDVER, his son.
- BIKKI, his evil counsellor.
- JONAKR, GUDRUNS third husband.
- SORLI, HAMDIR, AND ERP, the sons of Jonakr and GUDRUN.