|Ruth has suffered—and for your own sake and hers—remember, Andy—only through sacrifice—the secret beyond there—— The sun! Remember!|
| || |
|Beyond the Horizon|
|Beyond the Horizon explores what happens when two men love the same woman and the compromises each will make to have her. Eugene O’Neill won the Pulitzer Prize for this 1920 drama.|
| TO AGNES |
NEW YORK: BONI & LIVERIGHT: 1920
NEW YORK: BARTLEBY.COM, 1999
- Scene I: The Road. Sunset of a day in Spring.
- Scene II: The Farm House. The same night.
(Three years later)
- Scene I: The Farm House. Noon of a Summer day.
- Scene II: The top of a hill on the farm overlooking the sea. The following day.
(Five years later)
- Scene I: The Farm House. Dawn of a day in late Fall.
- Scene II: The Road. Sunrise.
(The "right" and "left" of the stage directions are the audience’s.)
- JAMES MAYO, a farmer
- KATE MAYO, his wife
- CAPTAIN DICK SCOTT, of the bark "Sunda," her brother
- ANDREW MAYO and
- ROBERT MAYO, sons of James Mayo
- RUTH ATKINS,
- MRS. ATKINS, her widowed mother
- BEN, a farm hand
- DOCTOR FAWCETT.