A Short History Of Progress Analysis

1362 Words6 Pages
In the book A Short History of Progress by Ronald Wright it talks about how civilization in the past has fallen to something Ronald Wright calls a “Progress Trap” it’s when you make progress whether good or bad, and when it reaches its peak it's a trap. Wright explains two situations where progress is bad or good. For example, during the Stone Age hunting game was a big part of survival. When hunters were able to make advancement in hunting and developing ideas to hunt game easier and when being able to kill two mammoth at a time that was considered good progress but when you kill a whole herd by running it off a cliff it's bad progress because food will eventually run out and that ties to be greedy. Wright also explains and talks about multiple…show more content…
However currently we are not concern on running out of supply of food even though our population is increasing at an exponential rate but concerned with the advancement that are being made today to sustain living for example 92% of U.S corn is genetically engineer resulting in 75% of the food in the market is processed. Advancement on farming would be a progress trap because according to a study “A number of studies over the past decade have revealed that genetically engineered foods can pose serious risks to farmers, human health, domesticated animals, wildlife and the environment”(Center For Food Safety) In civilizations, population constantly increases until it hits a point in the food supply, where the food supply scale breaks and there is no more food left -- the upward focus on wealth and how the rich will always stay rich and the poor will always stay poor is a perfect example of why GMO foods were created; they are able to be produced cheap and sold cheap even if it harms human beings. The majority of these big corporations and business that fall along the lines of farming are sought out to make money and that is why being greedy is a progress trap.. you have enough but always have the self-desire for…show more content…
Just how much technology do we need the term technology is an innovation or invention that makes life easier, but do we need to continue to advance it? No because ultimately A.I robots will exist in the near future to cover every person needs and wants, but this would mean if this existed business would find a way to obtain these machines or robots to do jobs at a cheaper cost. Technology now is already being used in levels that cannot explain for example if you go to McDonald's you will see machines allows us to order our food faster and easier or even most supermarkets have self-checkout stations what does that mean it means that they don’t need people to fill in for these positions. Technology and being greedy tie hand in hand these new inventions yes it makes your life easier, but is technology really making real progress if all is doing is making the top 10% of the people in the world richer and the other 90% that rely on these jobs that machines have taken more poor? Ultimately the way technology is abused in this manner, it scales with greed. Technology is sought out for one thing only and it's “to make life easier”, is equivalent to greed being actively
Get Access