Abortion is the Problem, Not the Solution Essay

2143 Words9 Pages
Legalized abortion is an extremely controversial and often volatile issue talked about around the world. Abortion was legalized in the United Sates in 1973 after Roe won the lawsuit against Dallas County District Attorney, for not permitting her to terminate the pregnancy that had occurred as a result of a rape, which later was revealed as a false statement (“Roe v. Wade” P.2) From then 38010338 children have been aborted until 1998. In addition, specialists have estimated an increase of more than 9 million abortions until 2005, making a massive total of more than 40 million, which is 24 times greater than American war causalities since American Revolution to the Gulf war of nineteen ninety (“Over Forty Million” P:1.) Abortion has become…show more content…
If they use any of these methods before having sexual intercourse, they would not have to worry about abortion. There are many other facts that show abortion is not the solution for unwanted pregnancies. The Majority of women terminate pregnancies because of unfair, unreasonable reasons. According to a survey that was done in 2004 to discover the reasons women decided to have abortions, only 2% of women had abortions because of reasons such as the possibility of an unhealthy fetus, her own health risk and trauma of being a victim in rape(Finner P: 112.) The rest of the 98% gave reasons such as the fear of having a dramatic life change, education, career and relationship interference, financial problems, not enough support and fear of been a single mother (Finer P:110-113). When making a choice between life and death of a living being, especially a human above reasons of the majority seems unreasonable. In addition, under above conditions, having an abortion will only make women face more weak psychological and physical effects. There is a huge legal controversy on the abortion issue. The main reason that supported legalizing abortion in Roe v. Wade is the Supreme Court decision that a fetus is a human but not a person. Since the United States Constitution’s fourteenth Amendment protects only persons, aborting unborn children became
Open Document