Adolescent Drug Abuse

1306 Words Oct 23rd, 1999 6 Pages
Adolescent Drug Abuse

I.) Introduction: "Crack, booze, pot, crystal- from the inner city to the suburbs to small towns, the world of the adolescent is permeated by drugs. When 'a little harmless experimentation ' becomes addiction, parents, teachers, and clinicians are often at a loss. For this age group (roughly ages 13 to 23), traditional substance abuse programs simply are not enough" (Nowinski, inside cover). Today 's society provides many challenges for adolescents that our parents never had to face. Pre-marital sex and pregnancy, alcohol abuse, and drug addiction have always been around but they have never been more available to adolescents than they are now. Adolescents are more on their own to take care of
…show more content…
IV.) Result of Information Gathered: A) Source 1: Dr. Nowinski 's book describes specific cases of adolescent drug abuse that he has worked with. He describes the different patterns of drug abuse and the causes of such abuse. He describes causes like alienation, low self- esteem and confidence, stress, and peer pressure. He goes into how development of new treatment techniques are necessary because adolescent addictions are different than those of adults. He describes the process of counseling, denial and compliance, and surrender and recovery. Nowinski stresses the need for family intervention in cases that involve adolescents. B) Source 2: Silverman gives the results of the survey and attempts to interpret the results. It was found that 83% of the students in the study were either abstainers or experimental users. It was recommended that primary prevention strategies should be used with this group. The remaining 17% had been deemed " drug users" and it was found that they all shared a similar lifestyle. All had multiple substance abuse problems, were engaged in frequent sexual activity, and received poor grades. it was also found that the amount of parental attention and supervision was significantly different for both groups. C) Source 3: This article said that the rise in drug use among teens was driven by a dramatic rise in the use of marijuana and more use of stimulants, LSD and inhalants. It also

More about Adolescent Drug Abuse

Open Document