Air Toxins, Landfills, And The Solution

1734 Words7 Pages
Air Toxins, Landfills, and the Solution - Plasmafication Introduction Landfill growth is inevitable. As landfills grow, they release toxic chemicals in the air and harmful pollutants into groundwater. These hazardous chemicals make our tap water undrinkable and our air unbreathable. Residents who live near landfills are most likely to encounter health problems. A few of these problems include: lung and respiratory problems, heart disease, nervous system damage, and cancerous illness. Residents who live nowhere near a landfill may think they are safe, when the risk may be just as high. The truth is, no matter if you live across the road from a landfill, or if you live 100 miles away, everyone is at risk. To better understand how people hundreds of miles away are at risk, it’s important to know how landfills came about, what kinds of toxins landfills produce and how they travel, and what can be done. Airborne Toxins There are over 10 harmful toxins that leave landfills and become airborne. 90% of airborne toxins come from methane gas and carbon dioxide. These are considered “small” toxins. The remaining 10% includes: hydrogen, nitrogen, sulfides, and ammonia. These too are considered “small” toxins. Larger toxins, better known as “particles,” include: smoke, dust, mold, spores and pollen. These larger particles are approximately 2.5 to 10 micrometers in size (25 - 100x smaller than a human hair). The smaller toxins are 2.5 micrometers or less in size (more than 100x

More about Air Toxins, Landfills, And The Solution

Open Document