America Needs Capital Punishment Essay

2127 Words9 Pages
The case of William Horton offers a fitting introduction to the subject of America's need for capital punishment. Horton was a violent habitual criminal, sentenced in 1988 to a Massachusetts prison "to life with no possibility of parole" for savagely slaying an innocent teenage boy. After only ten years in prison he was transferred to a minimum-security facility. There he became eligible for daily work release, as well as unescorted weekend furloughs from prison. Following the example of other hardended inmates over the years, Horton decided not to return from work. Instead, months later, he viciously tortured and raped a Maryland couple for twelve hours (Bidinotto 5). As this case illustrates, capital punishment is essential to…show more content…
Cleaning up the hopelessly lo ng backlogs, the government would have to execute a convict everyday through the year 2021. Florida's triple killer, Gary Alvord, is celebrating his 22nd year on deathrow, still hoping, and still appealing. Until May 10, 1995, Montana's Duncan McKenzie had avoided the lethal needle for twenty years. Surprisingly, he fell just one vote short from freedom (Anger 25). In the instance of Terell Watkins, he was given twelve appeals, which kept him alive an extra 17 years. Watkins' execution date was set f or May 8, 1970, but wasn't executed until November 21, 1987. During this time he filed 12 appeals and even got two parole hearings. Had the Parole Committee felt differently about his stay in prison and granted him parole, a convicted murderer of four c hildren and three women would have been set free. If only half as many appeals had been allowed, he would have been executed in 1976 and would have had no opportunity for parole (Thompson 58-60). In the United Staes, over 69% of all murderers are single case casualties; of these, the death penalty is only prescribed in 11% of the cases that came to trial. Of the remaining 89% the convicted murderer is eligible for parole after eight and ha lf years. The average sentence for manslaughter is 20 to 35 years in a maximum security prison with at least one third of the sentence served before the criminal is eligible for parole (Thompson 121). These
Open Document