An analization on the story the Bloodflowers by:W.D. Valgardson
2073 WordsNov 21, 20049 Pages
1.1 Plot Synopsis
Summarize the story in ten sentences.
1. Danny Thorson moves to the isolated Black Island on a teaching job.
2. He spends time on the island and finds out that it is nothing but rock surrounded by water.
3. He meets Sick Jack and his daughter Adel and finds Adel very attractive; he likes her a lot.
4. Mrs. Poorwilly reveals to Danny that people on the island usually die in "threes."
5. Sick Jack dies and they set him out to a sea burial.
6. Danny witnesses Michael Fairweather die in a sea-storm.
7. Marj Fairweather, Micheals mother, commits suicide from being overwhelmed with Michaels death.
8. Mr. And Mrs. Poorwilly then volunteer to take in Marj Fairweather's kids which results to Danny moving out and moving in…show more content…
This story always kept the reader guessing with the suspense of each chapter but didn't keep the reader completely lost by giving away some easy clues.
3.1 Character Development
Describe one character physically and mentally.
Adel is a character in the story that we get to know quite well by Danny's descriptions of her. Physically Adel was very pretty. "The girls black hair fell to her shoulders, making a frame for her face. She looked tired, but her dace was tanned and her mouth was a warm red. Her cheeks were pink from the wind." And "In spite of her clothing, Adel w as attractive. Her hair was as black as he had remembered it and it hung in loose, natural waves. Here eyes were a dark blue. Underneath the too-large sweater, her breasts were made soft, noticeable mounds." Mentally, Adel is very shy. She rarely talked and when she did it was in a timid voice barely noticeable to hear. She didn't seem very confident with herself either if she was always wearing large, baggy clothing. Not to say that girls who wear baggy clothing are unconfident, but it just showed that she wasn't comfortable with herself. Even when Danny was living with her she was shy from him. It takes her a while to adjust to certain people, it seems. Before she can get comfortable with them.
Explain his/her role in the story.
Adel's role in the story is to be a monumental inspiration to Danny.