Argumentative Essay On Teenage Drinking

1783 Words8 Pages
Teen Alcohol Abuse The legal drinking age differs by country, but in America, it is twenty-one. However, it is not new knowledge that underage citizens can still easily obtain alcohol and face the consequences. Close to half of American high school sophomores reported drinking habits within the past year “Teen Alcohol Abuse”. Further, people aged “12 to 20 years, drink 11% of all alcohol consumed in the United States” (Facts Sheet). As teens grow, the likelihood that they drink also increases greatly, because “as children mature, it is natural for them to assert their independence, seek new challenges, and try taking risks. Underage drinking is a risk that attracts many developing adolescents and teens”. (Underage Drinking). Underage drinking, especially the way teens drink it, can have major consequences that can impact the way their bodies develop and function and their health and future lives. American society depends greatly on alcohol and is used as a means of celebration for many special events. Although drinking is illegal under a certain age, the vast majority of teenagers and minors have been exposed to alcohol and have had to face the decision of whether or not to follow the trend and drink “By age 15, about 33 percent of teens have had at least one drink” (Underage Drinking). The main reason teens are so greatly affected by alcohol is that they binge drink, which consists of drinking multiple drinks “On average, underage drinkers consume more drinks per drinking occasion than adult drinkers” (Facts Sheet). Such excessive drinking leads to poor, and often life-threatening, decisions. Alcohol related accidents are the most fatal incidents amongst teens it is “responsible for more than 4,300 deaths among underage youth each year” (Facts Sheet) “32 percent of underage drinking deaths are caused by motor vehicle accidents. The remaining 68 percent...are caused by homicide, suicide, alcohol poisoning, drowning and other causes of death” (Caba). The reason alcohol has the effects it does is because it “acts on the nerve cells of the brain and disrupts the communication between cells...and alter[s] the actions of two major neurotransmitters” (Alcohol Think Again) The three leading causes

More about Argumentative Essay On Teenage Drinking

Open Document