Barack Obama 's Presidential Election

2315 Words Nov 29th, 2016 10 Pages
In the 2016 United States presidential election, Hillary Rodham Clinton became the first female nominee of a major political party in the country’s history. After years of experience in government ranging from Senator of New York to Secretary of State under President Barack Obama, Clinton proved herself to be knowledgeable, even-tempered, and adept at performing this job and holding the highest office in the country. Yet on the evening of November 8th 2016, it was announced that Clinton’s opponent, Republican Donald J. Trump, had clinched the victory and secured the title of President elect. In comparison to Clinton, Trump possessed very little political experience. Prior to his campaign, Trump was known to most Americans as the host of an early 2000’s reality television show rather than as a respected politician. Up until the night of the election, even, according to opinion poll analysis website FiveThirtyEight, Clinton had a 71.4% chance of winning this election versus Trump’s 28.6%. Why did Hillary come so close, but not close enough? In relation to this, we see the separation of genders played out on stage in Sarah Ruhl’s In the Next Room (or the vibrator play). Even though the play is set in America at the dawn of the age of electricity, there are many parallels to be drawn between the blatant separation of male/female and professional/domestic in In the Next Room and the way gender was handled in this past election cycle. With the recent results of the 2016…
Open Document