2800 Words12 Pages
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION Application for a Social Security Card
Applying for a Social Security Card is free!

● ● ●

Apply for an original Social Security card Apply for a replacement Social Security card Change or correct information on your Social Security number record

IMPORTANT: You MUST provide a properly completed application and the required evidence before we can process your application. We can only accept original documents or documents certified by the custodian of the original record. Notarized copies or photocopies which have not been certified by the custodian of the record are not acceptable. We will return any documents submitted with your application. For assistance call us at
…show more content…

Evidence of Age

In general, you must provide your birth certificate. In some situations, we may accept another document that shows your age. Some of the other documents we may accept are: ● U.S. hospital record of your birth (created at the time of birth) ● Religious record established before age five showing your age or date of birth ● Passport ● Final Adoption Decree (the adoption decree must show that the birth information was taken from the original birth certificate) You must provide current, unexpired evidence of identity in your legal name. Your legal name will be shown on the Social Security card. Generally, we prefer to see documents issued in the U.S. Documents you submit to establish identity must show your legal name AND provide biographical information (your date of birth, age, or parents' names) and/or physical information (photograph, or physical description - height, eye and hair color, etc.). If you send a photo identity document but do not appear in person, the document must show your biographical information (e.g., your date of birth, age, or parents' names). Generally, documents without an expiration date should have been issued within the past two years for adults and within the past four years for children. As proof of your identity, you must provide a: ● U.S. driver's license; or ● U.S. State-issued non-driver identity card; or ● U.S.
Get Access