Brunei : The United States, And Future Direction

1364 WordsJan 27, 20156 Pages
Brunei Brunei has the fourth highest per capita petroleum and natural gas fields in Southeast Asia. It is imperative senior enlisted leaders have knowledge potential ports of call, in order to brief, relevant information to junior and senior members prior to arrival. This essay will examine the country of Brunei’s background, government, strategic significance to the United States, and future direction. Background Brunei is predominantly an independent Islamic country located on the island of Borneo in Southeast Asia. Bordering Malaysia, Indonesia, and the South China Sea, Brunei consist of two sections, with a majority of its population mainly concentrated in the larger, western section (Szczepanski). Brunei’s influence peaked…show more content…
Compared to Delaware in size, most of the soil is infertile due to lack of nutrients and insufficient drainage. Richer soil found near rivers and flood plains provides for best agricultural potential. The country 's climate produces a humid tropical environment with significant rainfall throughout the year near the coast and much higher further inland. Natural hazards include earthquakes and monsoons, but are not frequent experiences (Thambipillai, 2014). The population of Brunei is comprised of approximately 67% Malay and 16% Chinese, with the remainder being Indian, European, Pilipino, and indigenous. The official and prominent language spoken is Malay. English and Chinese are also common languages used throughout the country. There is a diverse religious presence in the country, consisting of 79% Sunni Muslim, and the remaining 21% divided between Christian, and Buddhist (East & Southeast Asia, 2014). Brunei’s deep cultural ideals consist of visual and performing arts. Particularly known for production of cannons, gongs, and metal items embossed with animals and serpents, these items are as popular today as they were to the powerful Sultans of the seventeenth century by. During many cultural events, Malay women often perform a popular social dance accompanied by a large framed drum; the women derive income from the use of gongs for many different events including marriages, deaths, and receptions for honorable guests. Despite Brunei’s
Open Document