Case Study : Virgin Atlantic Airways

1538 Words7 Pages
The company I chose to write about is Virgin Atlantic Airways. Since it was founded in 1984, Virgin Atlantic Airways has become Britain’s second largest airline carrier serving the world’s major cities. A British airline, Virgin Atlantic Airways is owned by Sir Richard Branson and Singapore Airlines. It is part of the Virgin Group of establishments. Virgin Atlantic has experienced vast popularity, a winning top business, consumer and trade awards from around the globe. The airline has established a range of advances by setting new standards of service, which its contenders have consequently pursued to follow. In December 1999 Branson sold a 49% stake to Singapore Airlines, and he retains the other 51%. The main routes depart from the United Kingdom and their destinations include the Caribbean, North America, Asia, Australia and Africa. Virgin Atlantic currently have 38 aircraft but they also co-share with a number of other airlines. They employ approximately 9000 people worldwide including 4000 cabin crew and 700 pilots. The airline carries an overage of between 5 and 6 million passengers each year. The commercial airline industry is a remarkable business because of the examination of the effects of the attacks on September 11, 2001, the increasing oil prices, and the influence the recession has had on the airlines. According to Virgin’s website “Our mission statement is simple, yet the foundation of everything we do here at Virgin Atlantic Airways...to
Open Document