Sickle Cell Disease is an illness that affects people all across the globe. This paper will give a description of the sickness through the discussion of the causes, symptoms, and possible cures. Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) is a "group of inherited red blood cell disorders."(1) These disorders can have various afflictions, such as pain, damage and a low blood count--Sickle Cell Anemia.
Because people with sickle cell trait don't have the disease, they may never discover that they carry the gene. That's why it's recommended that teens who are unsure of their sickle cell status ask their doctors about testing. The National Institutes of Health recommends that all newborns be screened for sickle cell disease, and testing at birth is now required in almost every state. This helps infants with sickle cell anemia get the care and treatment they need right away.
Sickle Cell Disease is an autosomal recessive genetic disease that occurs due to a mutation in the β-globin gene of hemoglobin. Autosomal meaning that it is not linked to a sex chromosome, so either parent can pass on the gene to their child. This mutation is a result of a single substitution of amino acids, Glutamic for Valine at position 6 of a β globin chain. The presence of this mutation causes
Sickle cell crisis is an acute form of sickle cell disease where pain and sickling are extensive (Byar, 2013). SCD is a genetic disease that predominantly affects black people of African decent (Gersten, 2016). Abnormal hemoglobin chains are the main issue with SCD (Byar, 2013). Normal hemoglobin chains are comprised of 99% hemoglobin A (HbA) however, in SCD an abnormal form of the gene, hemoglobin S (HbS) is present in approximately 40% of total hemoglobin (Byar, 2013). In order for a person to be born with SCD, both parents must carry the abnormal gene, HbS (Byar, 2013). HbS is extremely sensitive to the changes in oxygen amount of the RBC and when exposed to decreased oxygen the HbS cause the RBC to distort and become sickle-shaped,
In this article, sickle cell anemia is defined as a hereditary disease that destroys red blood cells by causing them take on an elongated and rigid "sickle" shape. In addition, a different type of hemoglobin called Hemoglobin S, is the protein in red blood cells that carry oxygen throughout the body. This protein starts to wrap around other red blood cells when oxygen is lacking to form a helical shape. Once this happens the cells cluster together and elongate and the cells start to "sickle". A person who has sickle cell anemia can only get it if both of their parents carry the sickle cell trait, if only one parent has the trait then there children are at risk for having the trait.
Sickle cell anemia (SCA) is an inherited blood disease which causes normal, round, healthy red blood cells to transform into sickle-shaped cells. Normal red blood cells are flexible and can easily pass through capillaries to bring oxygen to different parts of the body. However, sickle cells are fragile, and can easily die, leading to anemia (red blood cell deficiency). SCA can also cause blood vessel occlusion (blockage of blood vessels), tissue infarctions (death due to lack of oxygen), bone, joint, and abdominal pain, yellow eyes and skin, pale skin, delayed growth, increased risk of infections, and damage to organs. The disease is passed on by autosomal recessive inheritance, which means both parents of a child must have the defective gene for the child to be affected. If only one gene is inherited, the victim becomes a carrier of the sickle cell trait, producing only some sickle cells with little or no symptoms. This means two people with the trait have a 25% chance of having a baby with sickle cell disease, 25% chance of them having no defects, and 50% chance of the baby becoming a carrier as well. When the gene is inherited, it mutates the beta (β) globin gene in chromosome 11, changing the hemoglobins produced using instructions from the gene from a healthy hemoglobin A (Hb A) to a mutated hemoglobin S (Hb S). Many tests can be done to check for sickle cell disease, the most common being an ordinary blood test, where the blood is examined for hemoglobin S. If the
Sickle cell anemia (SCA) is an autosomal recessive inherited disease that affects the red blood cells. A person must receive a sickle gene from each parent to have the disease. If a person only receives one gene from either parent, they will have the sickle cell trait.
Sickle Cell Anemia or Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) is a passed down blood disorder that attacks and destroys the red blood cells. This Disease was first discovered back in 1910. The disease was first described as a clinical entity by Herrick1 in 1910 (Anderson & Ware 1932). Sickle cell sickness is brought about by a change in the hemoglobin-Beta quality found on chromosome 11. Hemoglobin transports oxygen from the lungs to different parts of the body. Red platelets with typical (hemoglobin-An) are smooth and round and coast through veins. Typical red platelets are round like doughnuts, and they travel through little blood tubes in the body to convey oxygen. Sickle red platelets turn out to be hard, sticky and molded like sickles used to cut wheat. At times these blood cells can become crescent shaped and have a hard time passing through small blood vessels, this keeps red blood cells and the oxygen they carry from getting to all parts of the body. This causes less blood to reach the body at this point the tissues that have not received a normal blood flow will become damaged. Individuals who have sickle cell
The disorders for Sickle Cell Anemia is mutation, autosomal recessive, and blood loss. The chromosomes traveled from one parent to another which mean it's a positive chance the child will have that disease. Also that
Sickle cell anemia mainly affects people with African, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and Indian ancestry. A person with sickle cell anemia inherits two sickle cell genes, one from each parent. It cause the red blood cells to change and become crescent shaped. Normal red blood cells are disk shaped and move easy through the blood vessels. The primary problem is hemoglobin, it is a protein molecule in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to the body’s tissues and returns carbon dioxide from the tissues to the lungs. In sickle cell anemia, the hemoglobin is flawed. The cells become sickle shaped and can’t move as easily through blood vessels. Sickle cell anemia has one main cause, in order for sickle cell anemia to happen, a sickle
Sickle Cell Disease is a hereditary issue in which the body produces Sickled formed red platelets. In Sickle cell disease, or SCD, the hemoglobin in red platelets gathers together. This in turn causes red platelets to get firm and C-formed. The most well-known signs and indications of SCD are anemia and pain through the body.
Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) is an inherited autosomal recessive condition that causes the red blood cells (RBCs) to be crescent shaped. Sickle cell disease occurs in 1 out of every 400 African Americans births (Field, et al 2009). And according to the Centers of Disease Prevention and Control (CDC), 1 out of 13 African American babies are born with the sickle cell trait (SCT). At the same time SCD is present in only 1 out of 300 Caucasian babies, thus it is considered to be one of the most prevalent genetic health disparities affecting people of African, Indian, Hispanic, and Mediterranean decent (Kotch, et al 2000).
Sickle cell disease is a hereditary blood disorder most common in the African American community. Many people are carriers of the sickle cell trait, however in order for a person to develop sickle cell disease both parents must have passed on the trait to their child. Sickle cell disease causes a mutation in normal red blood cells resulting in decreased tissue perfusion and organ damage. This causes partial or complete replacement of normal hemoglobin with abnormal shaped sickled cells. An abnormal shaped sickled cell may become lodged to a blood vessel where other cells then bind to it and begin to form a clump. The blood vessels continually attach to each other and result in a blockage of small blood vessels eventually resulting in organ
Sickle-cell Anemia is a disorder that is typically inherited from a person's parents. Sickle-cell anemia results in an abnormality in the oxygen-carrying protein haemoglobin (haemoglobin S) that is found in red blood cells. In such a condition the red blood cells contort into a sickle shape. The affected cells die early which results to a shortage of healthy red blood cells and can block blood flow causing pain. The disease s caused by gene mutation through the process of substitution. In the Sickle-cell condition one Amino Acid; glutamic acid is always replaced by another acid valine. This happens in each of the two polypeptide chains of the haemoglobin molecule.This alteration results to a haemoglobin type S that is defective and is genetically
Sickle cell anemia (SCA) is one of the most common severe monogenetic disorders in the world. (1).SCA is an inherited blood disorder caused by a single point mutation in one of the genes encoding hemoglobin (2).Hemoglobin (Hb) it is an oxygen transporting molecule, carrying oxygen from the lungs to the tissues and takinge carbon dioxide away from the cell. Hb, made of four globin protein chains two alpha and two beata chains (pic).http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/images/hemoglobin.jpg