Public-protection standard statement 1: Protecting your patients from harm and abuse
Knowledge and Skills
Framework core dimension
Performance criteria (adapted from the Skills for Health database1)
Recognising signs of risk
1. Look for factors that may lead to patients, staff and others, including yourself, being in danger of harm and abuse. 2. Look for signs that patients, staff and others, including yourself, may be in danger of harm or abuse or have been harmed or abused. This would include recognising and dealing with early signs of violent or aggressive behaviour. Health, safety and security
3. Find out what your employer says you should do if you suspect that someone is in danger or has been harmed or abused.
4. Make sure you…show more content… 13. Work with patients in a way that respects their dignity, privacy and rights.
14. Make sure you are honest with patients about your responsibility to pass on information about potential and actual danger, harm and abuse.
15. Take appropriate action when you see behaviour, actions and situations that might lead to danger, harm and abuse to people (including any children and young people) in your workplace.
16. Object to and raise concerns with appropriate people and organisations about practice or policies which may lead to danger, harm and abuse.
17. Work sensitively with patients and family carers, telling them who to report incidents of danger, harm and abuse to and how to report it.
18. Make sure patients and their carers know that you will listen to their reports and deal with them seriously.
19. Take immediate action if patients have been harmed or abused or are at risk of this.
Protecting and recording evidence of harm and abuse
20. Report sources and signs of danger, harm and abuse to the appropriate person.
Avoid actions and statements that could affect how evidence can be used in future investigations and court proceedings.
Keep to confidentiality agreements.
Keep to your organisation’s policies.
21. Report any unusual or major changes in your patient’s health, cleanliness, physical care, actions and behaviour. 22. Use all available information to