Demographics and Changing Needs of Patients Requiring Long Term Care

1308 Words5 Pages
Demographics and changing needs: Patients requiring long-term care Identify the targeted population The definition of a patient in need of long-term care is a patient who needs assistance to perform the basic acts of daily life. This may be as a result of a chronic condition, trauma, illness or advanced age. "Long-term care often involves the most intimate aspects of people's lives what and when they eat, personal hygiene, getting dressed, using the bathroom" (What is long-term care, 2012, FCA). Unlike other types of healthcare, the goal of long term care is to maintain the individual's independence and functionality at the most optimal level given his or her condition rather than to cure it. Data about the population demographics Approximately 10 million Americans needed long-term care in 2000. The majority of these patients are elderly: "Approximately 63% are persons aged 65 and older (6.3 million); the remaining 37% are 64 years of age and younger (3.7 million)" (What is long-term care, 2012, FCA). Of the long-term care population of elderly "about 30% (1.5 million persons) have substantial long-term care needs (three or more ADL limitations) 地bout 25% are 85 and older and 70% report they are in fair to poor health" (What is long-term care, 2012, FCA). In addition to the problems posed to them by ill health there is also the issue of poverty which can further complicate care and treatment for these patients: "40% of the older population with long-term care needs
Open Document