Drinking Water Is An Adjective

1270 Words6 Pages
1. Introduction
The term “drinking water” is a wonderfully ambiguous pairing of words. “Drinking” can be an adjective, describing the many natures of this clear liquid. This water has special, vital qualities. It’s not ocean water, not dish water, not swamp water. It is potable water safe enough to consume without getting sick. A rare liquid, one that will become less and less taken for granted in the future. Or “drinking” can connote an action a specific intent to drink water rather than freeze water, sell water, wash with water. And if the water is for the act of drinking, then who gets to drink, when can they drink, and where can they drink? Such ambiguity is entirely appropriate for one of the few human actions and conditions that are
…show more content…
And drinking water is the story of humanity’s future. The greatest threat to human well-being in the world today is not climate change, AIDS, or warfare. Unsafe drinking water is the single largest killer in the world. Roughly half of the developing world suffers from illnesses caused by contaminated water supplies. No surprise, then, that the history of drinking water highlights the most pressing issues of our time from globalization, social justice, and commerce to terrorism, national security, and technology.
2.1 Resources and Need for Water Desalination
The earth contains about 1.4×10⁹ km³ of water, which covers approximately 70% of the planet surface area; the percentage of salt water in this large amount is 97.5%. The remaining 2.5% is fresh water with 80% of this amount frozen in the icecaps or combined as soil moisture. Both forms are not easily accessible for human use. The remaining quantity, about 0.5%, is believed to be adequate to support all life on Earth. Unfortunately, this water is not distributed evenly throughout the plant and it is not available in sufficient quantities either when or where it is needed. Table 1 gives a summary for distribution of various water resources across the globe. The global daily average of rainfall is 2×10¹¹ m³. This amount is poorly distributed across the globe.
The solar energy is
Get Access