Drugs in Lebanon

2777 Words Feb 13th, 2011 12 Pages
It is true that the latest reviews of Lebanon, such as “Number 1 destination for 2009 (In New York Times’ 44 places to go), or one of the top 10 liveliest cities (by Lonely Planet) spring pride and joy in the hearts of the Lebanese, but they do not do much to dissipate the constant looming underlying concerns of the reality of the Lebanese citizen. 15 years of horrifying war, followed by 15 years of occupation, an unstable economic, political, & social situation, an uncertain future, a corrupt system, little growth opportunity, and no stability to speak of, have engendered a disillusioned and scared generation, brought up by tragedy stricken, troubled, impatient, intolerant parents largely dependant on neurological drugs.
Not
…show more content…
To report accurate numbers would be impossible, as no serious official study of the matter has ever been conducted. Some incomprehensive studies conducted by unofficial bodies, namely rehabilitation centers, and mainly in the region of Beirut alone show the following statistics:
There are 10,000 to 15,000 estimated drug addicts in Lebanon, of which 2000 are female. This number could rise significantly if studies on other regions are conducted. 24% of prison inmates are drug users. Around 700 addicts receive treatment per year. A soaring 49% of all addicts fall in Beirut, with the other 51% divided amongst 6 other regions.
Drug-related deaths are very underreported, and that for several reasons, mainly pertaining to the taboo nature of the issue, where families prefer to disguise the reason of death, when disclosing it might help other users.
Average age for first time use has dropped dramatically from 28 years in 1996 to 17 in 2000, to 15 in 2009, with 60% between 14 and 19, to 22% between 20 and 24, to 9% between 25 and 29, to small portions after that.
As for educational level, the highest rate falls within people who have reached complementary school with 31%, but this does not indicate that education prevents addiction, as lower levels like primary school and illiteracy together represent only 18% whereas higher levels like some or full university education represents 27%.
Socio-economical status seems to be more defining, as medium class contains

More about Drugs in Lebanon

Open Document