Fall Risk Prevention Within A Hospital Setting

1826 Words8 Pages
Fall Risk Prevention in a Hospital Setting
As we age, our bodies tend to weaken and we become more susceptible to disease and illness. When we have a disease, this causes us to become weakened and we will have a higher chance having a fall, which is America’s highest unintentional killer in hospitals. The definition of a fall is an unintentional change in body position that results in the patient’s body coming to rest on the floor or ground (Ignatavicius & Workman, 2016). At one point in our lives, we all have taken a stumble or two, possibly injuring ourselves or worse, but as we get older, our chances of falling increase dramatically. Aging is inevitable and we will all have injuries and illnesses that increase our chances of having a
…show more content…
Children also have a tendency to have falls since their muscles and bones haven’t fully developed yet. In a study with 782 pediatric patient falls inside of a hospital, 86% of the pediatric patients had appropriate cognitive abilities for their age while the other 14% of the patients had delayed cognitive abilities. Even though that in this pediatric hospital supervision is much more keen, 77% of the falls recorded had adults watching them (Jamerson & all, 2014). In Jamerson’s study 49% of the falls resulted from ambulating, while the other 51% were transitioning to a different position. With younger aged patients, increased surveillance and instructions of fall risks help reduce the risk of falls, along with increasing status communication to other nurses (Jamerson & all, 2014). Now it’s time we look at geriatric patients in a hospital setting. There were a total of 893 falls in a single year at a geriatric clinic of academic teachings, with 240 of these falls being injurious (Kruse). After nurses educated their patients on fall risks, the number of falls in this geriatric hospital dropped down to 468 in-patient hospital falls, a 52% decrease in falls, with only 129 of these falls (28%) being injurious. As the education for the older generation and the safety regulations on the younger generation increased, the amount of injuries relating to falls decreased immensely.
Get Access