Fisher Vs. Texas State University Of Texas

2466 Words Jun 23rd, 2015 10 Pages
Fisher vs. Texas

Background
In 1997, Texas legislature passed a law that all high school seniors were to be accepted to the University of Texas if they finish in the top ten percent of their class. The University of Texas followed this law but found that their student body was becoming less and diverse. Universities believe that having a diverse student is an important part of learning.
To add diversity, the University of Texas decided to modify its race neutral policy. Now the university would use race for admission decisions. The University of Texas continued to follow the rule that the top ten percent of high school students would be automatically admitted into UT. This rule accounted for 81% of 2008 's freshman class. The other 19% of applicants could still be admitted by good GPA, high-standardized test scores, family conditions, leadership, and race (FISHER v. UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS).
Abigail Fisher applied for undergrad admission to the University of Texas in 2008. Fisher, a white female, did not qualify for automatic admission because she was not in the top 10 percent of her graduating class. Abigail had high school GPA of 3.59 and ranked in the top 12% of her class at Stephen F. Austin High School. She scored 1180 on the out of a possible 1600. To compare Abigail’s scores to the incoming class of University of Texas the 25th percentile was 1120 and 1the 75th percentile was 1370 on the SAT. Abigail was also involved in math competitions, the orchestra, and community…
Open Document