Fort Sumter : The War Of 1812

1963 WordsSep 27, 20148 Pages
Fort Sumter was named after General Thomas Sumter, a Revolutionary War hero. Fort Sumter was built following the War of 1812, as one of the fortifications on the southern U.S. coast to protect its’ harbors. Construction began in 1829, and the structure was still being completed in 1861, when the civil war began. Seventy thousands tons of granite were brought in from New England in order to build a sand bar to the entrance of the Charleston Harbor. The fort was a five-sided brick structure, one hundred seventy to one hundred ninety feet long, with walls five feet thick, standing fifty feet over the low tide mark. It was originally designated to hold six hundred fifty men and one hundred thirty-five guns; unfortunately the fort was never filled to this capacity. On March 5th, 1861, the day after his inauguration as president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln was delivered an urgent message from the Commander of the U.S. Troops holding Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor. Maj. Anderson stated that there was less than a six- week supply of food left available in the fort. President Lincoln developed a plan that would hopefully cause the confederates to fire the first shot with the hopes that the states not yet seceded from the union would reunite in an effort to restore the Union. On April 8, President Lincoln notified the Governor of South Carolina, Francis Pickens, that he would put his best efforts toward resupplying the fort. Gen, Beauregard, the Confederate
Open Document