When you are out trick-or-treating with your children this year, it is important to review pedestrian safety tips with your children. Each year, thousands of people are killed or injured in pedestrian accidents. Many of these accidents occur at dusk or at night. Before going out with your children this Halloween, remember these important pedestrian safety tips:
• Avoid wearing dark colors, especially at night. This is difficult on Halloween as many costumes are made using dark fabrics. To offset the dark colors, add reflective tape around the hems of the costumes, let your children carry flashlights, carry reflective or glow in the dark bags, and wear blinking jewelry.
• Walk in groups. It is easier to see a large group rather than one or…show more content… Trick-or-treating is fun. Make it a family event so that you can keep a close eye on your little goblins and ghouls. It is important for parents to take a pro-active role in helping their children have a fun and safe Halloween experience.
Other Halloween Safety Tips
Other tips you may find helpful include:
• Inspect all candy before allowing your children to eat any candy. Avoid candy that can be easily unwrapped and re-wrapped. Throw away any candy that is not wrapped — including homemade goodies and fresh fruit.
• Make a rule that no one eats any candy while trick-or-treating.
• If you find anything suspicious when inspecting the candy, contact your local police department.
• Avoid small pieces of candy — these items can pose a choking hazard, especially for smaller children.
• Choose face paint over masks that can obstruct your child’s vision.
• Do not leave face or body paint on overnight as it can cause skin irritation.
• Consider throwing a Halloween party or attending a community event instead of trick-or-treating.
• Eat dinner before trick-or-treating to cut down on the urge to snack on treats before you get back