Gender Equality in Sports

2131 WordsOct 8, 19999 Pages
How is it fair that a men's college basketball team is able to be transported on planes and dine on steak, while a women's team from the same college, travels in a van and eats fast food? It's not, but this occurs often nowadays even with laws passed preventing this type of discrimination. In 1972, Congress passed Title IX, which prohibits discrimination against girls and women in federally funded education, including athletic programs (Kiernan 3). Many schools and colleges have not been able to comply with the Title IX standards mostly because of money. Some of the problems in high schools and colleges consist of insufficient scholarships for girls, not enough coaching jobs, a lack of equipment, and a limited amount of supplies. Not only…show more content…
Within the next 25 years, at this rate, coaches of women's teams will be nearly gone. Even if the opportunity is there, no one will want to take it. Another thing a true coach does not like to see is their team being treated disproportionate to others. When it comes to scholarship money and scholarship opportunity, women are not given a fair chance to live their dreams. <br> <br>Young girls dream of, one day, being able to play the sport they adore for the rest of their life. For many adolescent girls this dream many not seem at all possible, perhaps because of their own financial status at home. Scholarships are supposed to provide financial assistance to those who need and deserve to have a superb education. Scholarships could also be used to reward students for their outstanding achievement in the field of sports. Women received $142,622,803 less scholarship support than their male counterparts during the 1995-1996 scholastic year (Wine 2). Women are merely 30% of scholarship money; that leaves 70% of the scholarship money for the men to spend. The 70% of ‘leftover' scholarship money certainly does not go to the women's equipment and supplies. <br> <br>Determining the compliance for the provision of equipment and supplies involves evaluating six separate things. Quality, suitability, quantity, availability, maintenance, and replacement must all be taken into accord when following a compliance policy (Compliance II-7). Full compliance, in this area, should be
Open Document