Global Health Resource Allocation Of Zambia

1613 Words7 Pages
Global Health Resource Allocation Approximately 3.3 billion people are at risk of being infected by and developing malaria today, despite massive international efforts to control the transmission of malaria (World Health Organization [WHO], 2014). Malaria has led to 584,000 deaths, and 189 million people are infected with malaria globally in 2013. The burden of disease is heaviest in the sub-Saharan Africa, where 90% of all malaria deaths occur. Malaria in African disproportionately affects the children under the age of five and is responsible for over 430,000 children deaths every year. The purpose of this discussion is to identify the social and economic impact of malaria in Zambia, the resource allocation in alleviating the burden of the disease, and the progress made for fighting the disease. Social Impacts Zambia is a malaria endemic country located in the heart of central sub-Saharan Africa with approximately 13.1 million people, 39.5% of which live in urban areas and the other 60.5% in rural areas (Central Statistical Office [CSO], 2013). The WHO reported an estimated 4.5 million cases and 7,737 deaths associated with malaria in 2011 (WHO, 2014). Forty percent of outpatient visits in Zambia are related to malaria (Chanda et al., 2013). The Eastern and Northern Zambia provinces had the highest incidence of malaria annually and accounted for almost 40% of all childhood deaths and 20% of maternal mortality (CSO, 2009). As such, the morbidity and mortality among
Open Document