Global Tobacco Control, An Analysis

1502 WordsFeb 17, 20186 Pages
Step One: Gather Information and Identify Preliminary issues As the world’s fifth largest tobacco market, Indonesia has become a well-known smoking nation, where approximately 67% of the male population, aged 15 and over, consume an average of 10 cigarettes a day (Nicter et al., 2010). Meanwhile, secondhand smoking becomes a prevalent issue as the Indonesian government fails to enforce strong anti-smoking legislation and educational movements. Indonesia is the one of the few countries who has not signed the World Health Organization’s (2011) Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, which prevents tobacco companies from promoting smoking with cheap advertisements and selling packs of cigarettes for as low as a dollar (Asiani et al., 2013). With ample opportunities to acquire cigarettes, smoking between males is a valued social interaction for decades, with young male teenagers starting to smoke at 13 or 14 years old. While 97 million people of the nation is lighting up, 43 million children are at risk for secondhand smoking. Women are also a huge population that is often exposed to smoke daily in their environment. Of women who live with a smoker in her household, 85% of them do not have any rules of smoking inside the house and the other 15% implement rules that are largely ineffective. Approximately 200,000 Indonesians are killed each year due to secondhand smoking (Nichter et al., 2010). WHO established that there is no safe level of secondhand smoking because it causes
Open Document