Global Warming - Truth or Myth: Two Sides to Every Story Essay

2815 Words12 Pages
Global Warming–Truth or Myth: Two Sides to Every Story
Summer 2010 Part I (Thesis): Global Warming: A Natural Occurrence

There are always two sides to every story and every different point of view has a right to be heard. When it comes to the discussion of global warming—a gradual increase in the earth’s surface temperature—there are two very distinct and opposing points of view. The world seems to be split between global warming being caused by humans and it being a natural occurrence; the latter being the viewpoint that I strongly support due to the evidence I will present in detailin this paper. In contrast, I will also discuss, in Part II, the “anti-thesis” or the opposing viewpoint that humans are actually the
…show more content…
We only contribute 3.5% of all CO2 in the atmosphere, while the other 96.5% is released by natural sources. There is no denying that global warming exists. Global warming is, unfortunately, a fact of our lives as humans, but humankind is simply not the cause. It is a natural occurrence and will continue to happen even after we are gone from the earth’s surface.

Part II (Anti-Thesis): Global Warming: Caused By Humans

Every year the average American produces over 22 metric tons of CO2 living a normal life (“What is Carbon Neutrality,” 2008); and the United States as a whole produces 6,049,435 metric tons of CO2 yearly (“List of Countries by CO2 Emissions,” 2010). This disturbing figure is the main cause of global warming and we have yet to take responsibility for our actions. There are many different theories of what has caused global warming and the answer is mankind. Humans are the cause of global warming because of pollution, over population, and deforestation. The first reason humans are the cause of global warming is because of pollution. Pollution is one of the biggest manmade causes of global warming and it comes in many shapes and sizes. The burning fossil fuel is one thing that causes pollution. Fossil fuels are a non-renewable source of energy, such as coal, oil and natural gas and when they are burned they give off a greenhouse gas called CO2 (Chughtai, 2008). We as humans release CO2 from power plants,
Get Access