Essay on Hemophilia: A Bleeding Disease

1297 Words6 Pages
According to the Gale Encyclopedia of Nursing and Allied Health, hemophilia also spelled haemophilia, is a genetic disorder of the mechanism of blood clotting that is usually inherited (Fallon 1276). The symptoms of this disease can range from mild to severe which makes prognosis very difficult to determine. Sylvia Mader says, “Hemophilia is called the bleeder’s disease because the affected person’s blood either does not clot or clots very slowly” (489). Hemophilia is a rare genetic disease that affects 1 in 5,000 male births while about 400 babies with hemophilia are born each year (“CDC”). When a normal human being receives a laceration or abrasion, it is usual for some small amount of bleeding to occur. Fortunately for them, bleeding…show more content…
If certain individuals have less than 1% of the normal factor present they are said to have severe hemophilia (Fallon 1276). These people often experience unprompted bleeding occurring mostly in their muscles, skin, and joints. They have to take extreme caution because trauma and surgeries can result in severe hemorrhaging which can lead to death. People with moderate hemophilia are characterized by having 1-5% normal factor activity (Fallon 1276). This means these individuals are still at risk for heavy bleeding after minor traumas. People with 5-40% normal factor activity levels are considered mild and must be carefully prepared for any dental procedures or surgeries (Fallon 1276). Both factors IX and VIII are produced by genes located on the X chromosome, so hemophilia A and B are x-linked recessive diseases (Fallon 1277). They account for about 70% of all hemophilia cases while the remaining 30% develop the disease as a result of a spontaneous genetic mutation (Fallon 1276-77). One of the more famous cases of hemophilia dates back to the turn of the century involving the royal families of Europe. This is why hemophilia is often called “the royal disease”. All of the affected males in the family could trace the disease back to Queen Victoria of England.
Of Queen Victoria’s 26 grandchildren, four grandsons had hemophilia, and four granddaughters were carriers. Because none of Queen Victoria’s ancestors were affected, it seems that the faulty

More about Essay on Hemophilia: A Bleeding Disease

Get Access