1. Understand the terms hematocrit, red blood cells, hemoglobin, buffy coat, anemia, and polycythemia.
2. Understand how the hematocrit (packed red blood cell volume) is determined.
3. Understand the implications of elevated or decreased hematocrit.
4. Understand the importance of proper disposal of laboratory material that comes into contact with blood.
|Total height of blood column (mm)|Height of red blood cell layer (mm)|Height of buffy coat (mm)|Hematocrit|% WBC|
Sample 1 (healthy male living in Boston)|100mm|48mm|1mm|48|1%|
Sample 2 (healthy female living in Boston)|100mm|44mm|1mm|44|1%|
Sample 3 (healthy male living in Denver)|100mm|55mm|1mm|55|1%|
Sample 4 (healthy…show more content…
Given this information, explain how a female could have a consistent hematocrit of 48, large, well-defined skeletal muscles, and an abnormally deep voice.
The female that is being described could live in a high altitude location and engage in a lot of strenuous athletic training.
· List the hematocrits for the healthy male (sample 1) and female (sample 2) living in Boston (at sea level) and indicate whether they are normal or whether they indicate anemia or polycythemia.
Healthy male living in Boston- 48
Healthy female living in Boston- 44
Both of these indicate that they are normal hematocrit values.
· Describe the difference between the hematocrits for the male and female living in Boston. Why does this difference between the sexes exist?
Males have higher hematocrit levels than females because males have more testosterone. Testosterone levels stimulate the kidneys to release erythropoietin. Erythropoietin then stimulates the synthesis of red blood cells.
· List the hematocrits for the healthy male and female living in Denver (approximately one mile above sea level) and indicate whether they are normal or whether they indicate anemia or polycythemia.
Healthy male living in Denver- 55
Healthy female living in Denver- 53
Both of these levels indicate polycythemia.
· How did the hematocrit levels of the Denver residents differ from those of the Boston residents? Why? How well did the results compare with your prediction?