Hormonal Replacement Essay

3102 Words13 Pages
THE PRO’S AND CON’S OF HORMONAL REPLACEMENT THERAPY

The Pro’s and Con’s of Hormonal Replacement Therapy

LaSalle University
In this paper I will be focusing on the positive and negative aspects of hormonal replacement therapy. To understand replacement therapy we first need to look at what occurs in a women’s body during menopause. As a woman is my 40’s like so many others, I will be in need of this information in the not so distant future, and as such this topic serves a considerable purpose. Awareness and education in this area can alleviate problems and make what could be a traumatic experience more manageable thereby raising the quality of ones life. Hopefully, women today will no longer have to
…show more content…
After that, bone loss slows to 1% to 2% each year.
If you are a 50-year old woman who is not taking medication, you have a 50% chance of having a bone fracture during the remainder of your life that is related to osteoporosis. You have a 20% to 30% chance of developing a spinal deformity known as dowager’s hump. ( CAM, 2001) Even though it is beneficial to increase their intake of calcium and vitamin D, women will still experience bone loss due to the decrease in estrogen. Although more research is needed some recent studies have found that Alzheimer’s disease may develop in women with a family history of said disease with the onset of menopause. Cardiovascular disease is the major cause of death in post-menopausal women. This is believed to be due to postmenopausal women being estrogen-deficient.
The word menopause is used by patients and health care providers to describe a period of time in which the functions of a women’s' ovaries are declining. The true definition of menopause is the last menstrual period in woman’s reproductive life. In order to have a correct diagnosis of menopause women has to have one year of amenorrhea following her last menstrual cycle. The terms climacteric and perimenopause are used to describe the period preceding actual menopause. At about 45 to 52 years of age the supply of ovarian follicles declines, with the majority becoming artetic or degenerated. With the depletion of ovarian follicles, secretion of estrogen and progesterone by the

More about Hormonal Replacement Essay

Get Access