Essay on Human Trafficking: Modern Day Slavery

1036 Words5 Pages
“Trafficking” refers to illegal trade, an over-used word by the media that can be daintily attached to drugs, weapons, and humans. We hear the term so often; one can easily be desensitized to its context. Nicholas Kistof of the New York Times states, “Human trafficking is a convoluted euphemism.” He goes right to the heart of the matter and refers to it as modern human slavery. Human slavery is raw, honest and sadly much more prevalent than we would like to believe. Every year an estimated 800,000 people are transported across international boundaries for the purpose of human slavery. In the United States alone it is estimated that 100,000 children each year are part of the sex trade. According to the US Department of State in…show more content…
In countries where a cast system is still activity respected, it is not uncommon for a farmer to sell off his daughter in order to support his impoverished family. Ruchira Gupta, a journalist, discovered how often this happens by accident while visiting the hills of Nepal in 1994. She remembers, “Many villages in the hills had no women between the ages of 15 and 45.” After nine months of research and countless obstacles from politicians and local mafia she finally had enough information to produce her film The Selling of Innocents. The film went on to win an Emmy in 1997. From there she created the organization Apne Aap (self-help in Hindi) to bring awareness to the women of the world. Her story and others like it finally spurred the government to action and in 2000 the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act was passed in the United States. Many victims are coerced through false promises of free transportation to better places or promises of employment. Going willingly into a lie of a better life and then the victim arrives and finds that they are either physically, financially or emotionally a prisoner. Along with sex trafficking many people are transported and held for slave labor. 80% of victims are women, leaving a surprising 20% of men and boys are also held against their will as well. The selling of children into slavery is sadly a common practice and even culturally accepted in parts of the world like India. Should we leave these
Open Document