Impulse Buying

1573 WordsOct 24, 20127 Pages
Running head: CAUSES OF IMPULSE BUYING Impulse Buying EN1320 ITT Technical Institute Impulse Buying Everyone does it from time to time. I’m talking about acting upon impulse. In some cases, impulsive actions can be harmless or even rewarding. This is usually not the case though when it comes to making impulsive purchases. Studies have shown that on average, between 50 and 65 percent of items purchased while shopping we’re not on their lists, and we’re bought out of impulse. The question at hand is why, and this is what I am going to try and answer. Impulse buying begins a downward spiral that, if not corrected, ends with owning up to unexpected and undesired consequences that can be very detrimental and life changing. As defined…show more content…
In the study mentioned above by Spool (2011), a major driver of impulse purchases is the use of the category links on the website. Certain designs led shoppers to find products through category links rather than the sites search engines. When shoppers used these categories, they were far more likely to make impulse purchases than when they used the search engines. In the study, 87% of the dollars spent on impulse purchases resulted from users navigating the site by the category links. Users spent the remaining 13% of the money after navigating via the sites search engines. If a visitor sees a “popular products” section or a “clearance” banner on a site, those are the things they are most likely going to click. Even if they went to the site looking for a particular product, this strategy is usually taken advantage of. Many retailers put a “may we suggest” section on each and every product page with items that are relevant to what the customer was looking for, and this is also very enticing. Other ways online pages encourage impulsive purchases is with the use of things such as time sensitive sales. This can be sales such as Memorial Day sales, deal of the day, or just random clearance sales. It doesn’t matter what the occasion is, making a banner that says something like “Sale ends at Midnight!” will encourage people to click the link, venture further into the store, and
Open Document