Individuals with Disabilities Essay

1411 Words 6 Pages
The ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle has been quoted as saying,“You can judge a nation by the way it treats its most vulnerable citizens.” In fact, there are numerous quotes that convey similar sentiments. Why is it then that during times of financial uncertainty services and programs necessary to promote and maintain the health and welfare of individuals with developmental disabilities (DD) as well as other vulnerable populations are among the first to face budget cuts or to be eliminated altogether?
Historically, society has relied heavily on institutions to care for individuals with disabilities. The idea that individuals with disabilities could not -- and should not -- be cared for in their communities perpetuated the stigma
…show more content…
The members of this movement acknowledged that each person with a disability is entitled to the same legal rights and responsibilities guaranteed to any citizen of the United States according to the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Federal, State, and Local Statutes.
From 1997 to 2008, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) reports a 17.1 % increase in the occurrence of any DD among children between ages of 3–17. They also report, during 2006-2008, an estimated 1 in 6 children in the U.S. were reported to have some level of developmental disability (CDC, 2011). In a 2011 briefing report issued by the United States Aging and Disabilities Services Administration (ADSA), it was noted that the Washington State Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) provides some form of paid service to 63% of 38,000 Washington residents with a qualifying DD. The remaining 37% of qualifying DD residents continue to be clients, but receive no paid services because they have been discontinued due to budget cuts. The report also predicts that over the next decade Washington State residents with a DD will increase to approximately 51, 000 (ADSA, 2011).
Upon closer examination, the move to institutionalization appears to be a form of secondary prevention that is woven into an even more pressing social problem. However archaic the act of institutionalizing a person due to their developmental
Open Document