September 23, 2017
General Purpose: to inform
Specific Purpose Statement: At the end of my speech, I want people to understand what boba is and why is it getting popular
A. Attention Grabber: Hilary Clinton’s first time trying boba in NY. Awkwardly fumbling with the drink, she drinks the sweet Taiwanese drink and describes it as “chewy tea” and “milky tea”
B. Background Info: What is boba?
1. Invented sometimes in the 1980s in Taiwan, the Taiwanese tea-based drink comes in various types
a. Most recipes contain a tea mixed with milk or fruit and chewy tapioca balls are added
2. There are no clear origin story of the drink but it’s popularity began to spread throughout…show more content…
Now, bubble tea has many different variations.
a. The tea is mixed with different types of fruit and cream to create different flavors and variations and tapioca pearls, or sometimes jelly, are added.
b. 4 main ingredients of bubble tea is some sort of flavoring, creamer, sweetener, and liquid.
c. Some examples of the different boba drinks you can get are the traditional milk tea, taro milk tea, green milk tea, or my personal favorite, the thai milk tea.
B. Is boba better for you than coffee?
1. The bad health benefits of boba includes risk for diabetes due the large amounts of sugar and the risk for obesity because of its high calories
a. There are 36 grams of sugar in a boba drink (healthline article, published on July 5, 2017)
b. There are 317.5 calories in a boba drink (healthline article, published on July 5, 2017)
2. Compared to a Starbucks drink, boba is not that much more significant or less significant in calories.
a. A Starbucks Caramel Macchiato has 250 calories while a Cappuccino is around 120 calories (Starbucks nutritional facts)
b. A Starbucks Caramel Macchiato has 33 grams of sugar and a Starbucks Cappuccino has 10 grams of sugar. (Starbucks nutritional facts)
C. Why are people going on this boba trend?
1. It is a drink that is fun to drink.
a. Bin Chen and Andrew Chau, founders of premium bubble tea company Boba Guys Inc say that the “tapioca pearls add a whole new dimension of mouthfeel. It’s like drinking with gummy