Essay on Informative Speech Outline

1144 Words5 Pages
Informative Speech: Nuclear Energy Purpose: The purpose of this speech is to inform others about the production, utilizations and impacts of nuclear energy. I. INTRODUCTION A. Attention Getter: When most people think of nuclear energy, the first thing that comes to their minds is a devastating bomb explosion or a nuclear power plant meltdown. But, in reality, nuclear energy is a sustainable energy source that has an enormous variety of uses. B. Thesis: The uses of nuclear energy range from being a clean, renewable energy source to cutting edge medical procedures. C. Credibility: The world's first exposure to nuclear energy came with the detonation of two atomic bombs in Japan in 1945. Scientists perceived a positive aspect of…show more content…
Transition: Now that we know how nuclear energy is produced, let’s talk about some ways it is utilized in modern society. Second Main Point III. Uses of nuclear energy A. Nuclear power plants use heat created by nuclear reactions to heat water and create steam which turn turbines to produce power. i. Reactor operators control the chain reaction created by nuclear fission to regulate the amount of heat generated and energy produced. ii. The fuel for this process is the metal uranium. It must be enriched before it can be used for producing energy because mined uranium is around 99.3% uranium-238, it does not split easily when exposed to neutrons, which makes it a poor fuel. The other 0.7% of mined uranium is uranium-235, which makes excellent fuel. The enrichment process consists of increasing the ratio of uranium-235 to uranium-238. B. The medical field also benefits from nuclear energy. Nuclear medicine is a field of medicine in which radioactive materials are used to diagnose and treat medical disorders i. Certain chemical elements tend to concentrate in one part of the body. For example, nearly all of the iodine that we consume goes to the thyroid gland. ii. The radioactive form of an element acts in the same way the nonradioactive form does. When a person ingests iodine it concentrates in the thyroid gland whether it is in a radioactive or nonradioactive

More about Essay on Informative Speech Outline

Open Document