Integrating Social Media Networks As A Learning Tool For Open And Distance Education

1223 WordsJul 23, 20155 Pages
INTEGRATING SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORKS AS A LEARNING TOOL FOR OPEN AND DISTANCE EDUCATION STUDENTS ABSTRACT Social media networks (SMNs) have provided a platform for people to connect with their peers, share information and interact with each other. It has proven to be a tool that can affect peoples’ lives positively or negatively depending on its usage. A large number of youths which are mostly students have embraced this emerging technology, hence, advocates of open and distance education must take advantage of it towards increasing students’ acceptance and engagement in open and distance learning. Analysis of responses obtained from the survey carried out using questionnaires showed that 50% of respondents spent more than 2 hours daily on social media sites while 77.9% visited SMNs daily. Also, 53.0% of respondents have semester grade points between 3.00 and 5.00 while the remaining 47.0% were less than 3.00. Further analysis showed a weak correlation between spending longer time on SMNs and students’ poor academic performances. Based on these findings, this paper tends to advocate the adoption of online and social media networks as a learning tool that can be used to bring teaching and learning to the doorpost of students especially part-time as well as open and distance learning students. Keywords Social Media Networks; Open and distance learning, Students academic performance INTRODUCTION Social Media Networks have become the most dynamic Web 2.0 application which

More about Integrating Social Media Networks As A Learning Tool For Open And Distance Education

Open Document