Jess Westerly Case Analysis
Professor: Dr. Alok Chakrabarti
CR505 – Organization Management (Winter-2015)
Table of Contents
1. Case Abstract 3
2. How effective has Jess Westerly been in taking charge an assistant product owner at Kauflauf? 3
3. Why did her first attempt to change sales call pattern fail? 4
4. Does her proposal to change call patterns make sense? Why or why not? 4
5. What action should she takes to ensure that her next attempt to change call pattern to succeed? 5
1. Case Abstract
Jess Westerly joins Kauflauf GmbH as an assistant Product Owner in the computer/office supplies department. Before joining Kauflauf, Jess Westerly had a similar position with a…show more content… She just sent out mail to RSD and asked them to implement it.
Even though she had collected a large amount of data and ran simulations, she did not understand field consultants’ working relationships with their clients.
From some of the responses, she did not understand other regional markets well.
Since she is new to the organization, and she is not part of sales department, she should have taken time to get an approval from the senior managers, primarily the head of sales.
She did not mention any incentive program for the field consultant to spend more time with larger clients; incidentally larger clients are more demanding hence it will be stressful to the field consultants.
4. Does her proposal to change call patterns make sense? Why or why not?
Yes, her proposals to change the call patterns make complete sense. But problem was the way she approached the RSDs and tried to implement it.
Here are the reasons:
First, it is a next natural step for Kauflauf to start engaging with larger clients.
Based on the Westerly research data and simulation it was clear that field consultants are spending more time on less profitable clients. As per Westerly’s calculation only 35% of the consultants’ time went to customers who produced 85% revenue, it clearly shows the need to change call patterns.
5. What action should she takes to ensure that her next attempt to change call pattern to succeed?
Westerly’s call pattern change did not succeed in