Killing Animals Is A Normal Way Of Life

1658 Words7 Pages
For many, killing animals is a normal way of life. After all, animals are here on earth to eat right? I was raised to think just this way. In my family, we learned to hunt and fish at an early age. We have even produced a few hogs of our own to butcher. A life without meat seemed insane to the younger me. As I aged I got involved in 4-H, an agriculture program for kids. Children with the help of their parents raise and then sell animals such as pigs, chickens, turkeys, goats, rabbit, and cows at their local fairs. I spent eight years in this program starting at the age of nine. I was a freshman in high school when I got involved in FFA, another agriculture program but for teenagers. I learned the ins and outs of the agriculture…show more content…
This makes hogs the more efficient choice to produce for our consumption. Now, of course, I have never eaten a dog. That would go against the American norm, but I definitely make it a point to ask people why they choose one but not the other. As a senior in high school, I did a research essay on the treatment of animals in the meat industry. After my findings, I strongly considered becoming a vegetarian but never made the steps to. It is now two years after I graduated high school and I am questioning the world more now than ever. I have heard of new studies showing that eating meat is not just harming innocent animals. It 's harming humans and the environment as a whole. Over the past year, I have been trying to reduce my footprint on this earth. After hearing a few shocking facts, it was enough to push me to the next step to becoming a vegetarian. Since at the moment I am going off a few facts, I wanted to dig further and find the truth. I want to know is the meat industry harming our environment? I am ready to uncover the hidden negativities of this industry and find out if the good outweighs the bad. A staggering 80 percent of the deforestation has been caused by agriculture. I have always known that a whopping 71 percent of the earth 's surface is made up of water, leaving 29 percent as a land surface. This made me wonder how much of the land is used for agriculture? Ann
Open Document