Essay about Latchkey Children

1035 Words5 Pages
Latchkey Children Latchkey Children are children who return from school to an empty house because their parents are away working or their just left alone at home with little or no parental supervision. In today's society this is becoming more and more common due to the fact that in most households, both parents carry a job or career to support the family. Other names for Latchkey Children are "children in self-care", "children of working parents", "unsupervised children" etc. Leaving a child unsupervised after school can pose both positive and negative effects. According to the article "Ranks of latchkey kids approach 7 million" many children aren't supervised by anybody. This is due to the fact…show more content…
Children spend less than 20 percent of their time in school. What happens in the other 80 percent of their time is crucial to their development. According to the article (After-School Programs Alter Lives of At-Risk youth pg.1) "When left unsupervised, children are most at risk between 3 and 6 pm". It is during these hours that children come home to an empty unsupervised home. According to the article, it is during these hours that children are more likely to "commit or be victimized by crime; to smoke, drink or use drugs; to engage in premature sexual activity; or to get involved in gang-related activities". With the rising and unaffordable costs of after school day care, it's obvious that the number of children being put at risk is on the rise, especially children who come from low socioeconomic households. Simply put, we need more funding for after school day care programs to ensure that the number of at risk children decreases. It is what these children do after school between the hours of 3 to 6 pm that affects their educational as well as their societal outcomes. According to this article "Children who participate in after school programs show improvement in standardized test scores and decreased absenteeism and tardiness". We need to reach the children who come from low socioeconomic households and ensure them a fair chance in participating in after-school day care programs. From reading this article it is clear that children

More about Essay about Latchkey Children

Get Access