Lung Cancer : The Leading Cause Of Death

1286 Words Oct 6th, 2014 6 Pages
Lung cancer is one of the leading causes of death not only in the United States of America but globally.1 According to the World Health Organization 8.2 million deaths in 2012 were cancer related and of those deaths, 1.59 million were due specifically to lung cancer.2 In 2014, there was a staggering 224,210 new reported cases of lung cancer in the United States alone. The 5-year relative survival has a 49% to 2% variability depending on the type of lung cancer, stage, and location. The two major types of lung cancer are Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCL), which consists of 85% lung cancers, and small cell lung cancer (SCLC), which makes up the other 15% of lung cancers. NSCL is an epithelial lung cancer that is histologically comprised of adenocarcinoma, large cell carcinoma, and squamous cell carcinoma.1 Both NSCL and SCLC are insidious in nature and the presentation will usually be vague or nonspecific and include the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, weight loss, recurrent infections, coughing up blood, hoarseness, and wheezing. One of the leading and most avoidable risk factors of lung cancer is smoking. In both males and females smoking is linked to a higher incidence of lung cancer at an increase of 23% and 13% respectively. Smoking not only increases the likelihood of lung cancer, but has shown a correlation in higher risk of other cancers such as oral, laryngeal, pharyngeal, esophageal, pancreatic, ovarian, and multiple more. As a whole,…
Open Document