preview

Marijuana Legalization throughout the World Essay

Good Essays
Cannabis, also known as marijuana, is a plant which when consumed has psychoactive effects. It is believed to have been first used in the 3rd millennium BCE in what is now modern-day Romania. Throughout history, it has been known to be used during rituals and ceremonies, becoming an important aspect of numerous cultures. It has become illegal to possess, sell or use marijuana in various countries beginning in the 20th century, despite that it’s used quite commonly. The United Nations has even stated that cannabis is the world’s most widely produced, trafficked and consumed drug in the world, with an estimated 119 to 224 million adult users worldwide. Meanwhile, other, more-lethal substances such as alcohol and tobacco are legal and help…show more content…
The premise behind this is that they see marijuana as a gateway drug, and that people who use it will consequently move towards more hardcore and harmful drugs such as heroin or cocaine. To stop this they arrest over 700,000 Americans yearly for possession of marijuana. These law-breaking “convicts” are forced into a prison system that transforms them from first-time offenders into hardened criminals. To enforce this system, the government spends a ludicrous 7.7 billion dollars per year. About 2.4 million people use marijuana for the first time every year and most will never be arrested for it, but some, usually low-income people of color, will. A 2007 study in Washington DC, showed that about an equal amount of whites and blacks admitted to using marijuana, but 92 percent of people arrested for marijuana possession are black and the remaining 8 percent are white. This and many other studies demonstrate that law enforcement is biased in who they arrest. If marijuana were to be legalized, this racial profiling would also cease.
As previously stated, the US government spends 7.7 billion dollars per year to stop Americans from using marijuana. Instead of spending so much money to enforce this inefficient system, the government could capitalize on such a profitable market. With the decriminalization of marijuana, more jobs would be created to grow, prepare, transport, advertise and sell the marijuana. Since most of the cost of marijuana results from the risk involved
Get Access