Motivation

4897 Words Nov 26th, 2011 20 Pages
Faculty of Business Studies
Tutor Marked Assignment

B202 A: Understanding Business Functions I

First Semester 2011 – 2012

This tutor-marked assignment consists of two parts each of which consists of a set of questions that are based on a case study. This assignment will be graded out of a 100 and is worth 20% of the total grade assigned to the course. Out of the 100 marks, 84% will be divided equally between the two questions, that is, 42 marks for each case study. The remaining 16% will be distributed equally as follows: presentation of ideas and organization of the answer, adherence to specified word count, proper referencing and use of the E-library.

In this TMA, you are expected to demonstrate your knowledge and
…show more content…
Taylor’s view of motivation applies to people who tend to work within narrow job confines such as on a production line. These are people who can be paid according to the amount of work that they do or units they produce. This is known as ‘piece work’.
For many people pay is still a prime motivator. For example, within Kellogg’s many employees are motivated by cash alternatives which include the opportunity to buy and sell their holiday days. Taylor’s theory breaks down jobs into components or specialist tasks through the division of labour. This especially applies to production processes within large companies like Kellogg's. These rewards can help to increase productivity and profitability. The danger with this is that individuals are simply focused on output to get rewards so quality might suffer as a result of employees rushing to do the job.
Scientific management is not a process that allows development of people. It limits their ability to take ownership of what they do. Kellogg’s staff are encouraged to be creative and use their imagination to contribute towards change. Consequently, Taylor’s view of monetary reward for output is not appropriate for the motivation required for this type of workplace.
Maslow
Maslow’s theory relates motivation to a hierarchy of needs. At the bottom are essential physiological needs such as air, food, shelter and clothing. As individuals satisfy one level of need, their motivations

More about Motivation

Open Document