NASA And NOAA And The Scientific Exploration Of New Frontiers

1623 Words7 Pages
Throughout our history, the scientific exploration of new frontiers has been at or near the top of the American “to-do list”. Today, the United States employs two agencies to do this crucial work: The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA), which are responsible for the frontiers of outer space and the earth's oceans, respectively. Over the years, both NASA and NOAA have provided us with enormous amounts of extremely useful information; however the amount of federal funding given to NOAA’s explorations each year is very much less than the amount given to NASA. Financial figures show that each year, NASA receives $3.8 Billion, while NOAA receives only $27.3 million…show more content…
Nevertheless, If NASA were to cut back on sending humans and instead send robots, they could save bundles of cash, and possibly, in some cases, lives (Etzioni, Amitai). Because of the vast expanses of space and the mystery that it contains, along with the action-packed movies made about space that captivate America even beyond their opening weekends, such as Star Wars, BattleStar Galactica, the humorous Space Balls, etc, and the simple fear of not knowing what, or who, is or is not out there, every person has some amount of curiosity in them in regard to the dark skies surrounding our earth. It is simply human nature to want to discover the unknown (Boucher, Marc p.2). However, with the same inner drive to discover space should come the intention of wanting to explore the ocean. Humans have laid eyes on only about 5% of the oceans in entirety, and the necessary increase in funding would allow for the other 95% to be seen and known. All the water on our Blue Planet covers roughly 71% of the earth’s surface. Luckily, NOAA researchers have used their inner curiosity and taken action, finding out more and more about the five oceans that span the earth, and all the life that lives in them. The Pacific Ocean covers more than sixty million square miles, around

More about NASA And NOAA And The Scientific Exploration Of New Frontiers

Get Access