New Testament Writing

560 Words3 Pages
The New Testament is by far the most reliable ancient writing known today. At the end of the second century it begin to be evident which of these writing would be accepted as a part of the New Testament. There was a good measure of debate in the Early Church over the New Testament canon, the major writings that claim to have been accepted are a composition of twenty-seven books, that were written over a one hundred year period extending roughly from 50 to 150 A.D. Around that time the New Testament documents began to circulate among the churches, and those documents included what are now know as epistles, gospels, memoirs, apocalypses, homilies, and collections of teachings. One of the main focal points of the New Testament is the Gospels and letters of Paul, in which Paul wrote thirteen epistles. By writing letters the apostle guided the church in the direction that they should live their lives. Thee letters were read in the churches by a lector when Paul himself was not present, giving teaching. Paul's letter were gathered into the a single…show more content…
All manuscripts were hand copied mostly onto parchment paper, or papyrus. There exist as many as an astounding 25,000 ancient manuscripts that contain all or portions of the New Testament. Counting Greek copies alone, the texts are preserved in 5,366 partial and complete manuscripts hand copied mostly dating from the second through the fifteenth century. At least 362 New Testament manuscripts and 245 lectionaries (collections of Scripture texts grouped together for reading in public worship services) date from the second through the tenth centuries, constituting nearly 11% of all New Testament and lectionary manuscripts. The other 89% of manuscripts are minuscule, dating between the ninth and fifteenth centuries. Such early manuscripts are valuable in establishing the original text of the New
Get Access