Overview of the Healthcare System in Denmark

1847 WordsJul 10, 20188 Pages
Health care Infrastructure and Services: Denmark is a small high-income country with a high population density, is governed by a constitutional monarchy, has a central parliament and is administratively divided into regions, municipalities and has 2 dependencies (Greenland and the Faroe Islands) (Kravitz & Treasure, 2009). It has a national health service (funded by general taxation) and a decentralized healthcare system in which the individual regions run most services and the municipalities are responsible for some public health services (Kravitz & Treasure, 2009). However, a process of (re) centralization (under the structural reform of 2007) has been taking place, which has lowered the number of regions from 14 to 5 and the…show more content…
Any dentist whose treatment figures are more or less than 40% of the regional average has to provide an explanation (Kravitz & Treasure, 2009). Dentists are paid by way of “item of service” fee. Government Expenditure on Dental Healthcare The Danish government spent 9.5% of its GDP on Healthcare in 2006, whereas only 0.19% of the GDP was spent on Oral Health in the same year (Kravitz & Treasure, 2009). The government pays approximately 85% of the national costs of health care, while the remaining 15% come from individuals through co payments for treatments (Kravitz & Treasure, 2009). However, for dental care it’s almost the opposite, government only funds 20% of the national cost for adult dental services and the remaining 80% is paid by the dentist (Kravitz & Treasure, 2009). There is national income tax (which funds the national health service) and the lowest rate is 28%, while the maximum is 55.3% for income above 65, 000 euros per year (Kravitz & Treasure, 2009). Dental treatment is exempt form sales tax/value added tax (VAT) but costs related to purchase of dental equipment, instruments and materials are subject to VAT (Kravitz & Treasure, 2009). Oral Hygiene Habits and Disease prevalence According to the Danish National Board of Health (NBH), in 2007, 72% of the 12 year old children had a DMFT (decayed, missing, filled teeth) score of zero and only 18% of Danish adults above 64 years of age were edentulous (had
Open Document