Persuasive Essay On Health Care

1064 Words5 Pages
Health care must be recognized as a right, not a privilege. Every man, woman and child in our country should be able to access the health care they need regardless of their income. We often hear that the American healthcare system is the best in the world. In reality, the United States ranked eleventh place for health care amongst developed nations in 2011 despite spending the most money. An analysis by The Common Wealth Fund included data on quality, access, efficiency, equity and the health of its citizens. According to the United States Census Bureau, 59.3% of U.S. citizens have health insurance related to employment, 27.8% have government-provided health-insurance; nearly 9% purchase health insurance directly, and 15.3% (45.7 million) were uninsured in 2007 before president Obama take office. Another study, by the Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured, estimated that 59 percent of uninsured adults have been uninsured for at least two years. The U.S. data is evidenced in a 2007 Consumer Reports study on the U.S. health care system which showed that the underinsured account for 24% of the U.S. population and live with emaciated health insurance that barely covers their medical needs and leaves them unprepared to pay for major medical expenses. When added to the population of uninsured approximately 16% of the U.S. population, a total of 40% of Americans ages 18–64 have insufficient access to healthcare, according to the Consumer Reports study. A 2003 report by

More about Persuasive Essay On Health Care

Open Document