Exercise 3: Neurophysiology of Nerve Impulses: Activity 9: The Action Potential: Putting It All Together Lab Report Pre-lab Quiz
Results You scored 100% by answering 4 out of 4 questions correctly.
1. Sensory neurons respond to an appropriate sensory stimulus with a change in membrane potential that is You correctly answered: b. graded with the stimulus intensity.
2. If the depolarization that reaches the axon is large and suprathreshold, the result in the axon is You correctly answered: c. action potentials at higher frequency.
3. At the axon terminal, each action potential causes the release of neurotransmitter. This neurotransmitter diffuses to the receiving end of an interneuron, where it binds to receptors and causes…show more content…
Why is there a larger, depolarizing response at R1 when you apply a moderate intensity stimulus? You correctly answered: c. The stimulus induces a graded receptor potential at R1.
Experiment Data: Stimulus Sensory Neuron Membrane Potential (mV) Receptor -70 -60 -40 -25 Sensory Neuron AP Frequency (Hz) in Axon 0 16.6 33.3 Sensory Neuron Vesicles Released from Axon Terminal 0 4 6 Interneuron Membrane Potential (mV) Receiving End -70 -70 -50 -40 Interneuron AP Frequency (Hz) in Axon 0 5 10
None Weak Moderate Strong
Post-lab Quiz Results You scored 100% by answering 5 out of 5 questions correctly.
1. What determines the amplitude of the depolarization at the sensory receptor (R1)? You correctly answered: a. The strength of the stimulus applied to the sensory receptor.
2. What determines the frequency of action potentials in the axon of the sensory neuron (R2)? You correctly answered: a. The amplitude of the depolarization at the sensory receptor (R1).
3. Which of the following directly determines the amount of neurotransmitter released at the axon terminal of the sensory neuron? You correctly answered: c. The amount of calcium that enters the sensory receptor.
4. Which of the following directly or indirectly determines the amount of neurotransmitter released at the axon terminal of the sensory neuron? You correctly answered: d. All of the above play a role in determining the amount of