Ptsd : Unseen By The Human Eyes

1010 Words Mar 18th, 2015 5 Pages
PTSD: Unseen by the Human Eyes
According to the Mayo Clinic, “Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that 's triggered by a terrifying event.” War is a perfect example of a distressing event. The number of war veterans with PTSD is increasing rapidly. Also, an outstanding number of untreated war veterans who fell under the radar for government programs committing suicide because of this disorder. As Americans, we are responsible for the lives of our veterans. They serve to protect us and our freedom the minimum expected is to reciprocate this with accommodating them when they return home. The harsh reality is, our government funded programs are not up to par.
War is catastrophic; it breaks away at your sanity
…show more content…
The health centers from the government are also of little value. Thomas Insel, director of the National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, Maryland testifies as to why, “… [health centers are] hobbled by financial limits, haven 't provided enough scientifically sound care, especially in rural areas.” (Bloomberg).
A report by the Institute of Medicine also concluded that the two departments, the Defense Department and the Department of Veterans Affairs, are in much need of improvement of their many treatment programs, as well as finding “…better ways of coordinating care that can begin overseas and then continue on bases or in small towns across the country.” Nonetheless, funding is what we need, and funding is what we don’t receive. It’s like a child asking for water and an authoritarian mother ignoring the child. “The Pentagon spends approximately $2 billion -- almost 4 percent of its $53 billion annual medical expenditures -- on mental health…” (New York Times). The biggest concern when reading this statement from the New York Times, is where the other 96 percent going, and why only 4 percent.
Although, “…the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs allocates $73 million of its $6.2 billion mental health budget on suicide prevention...” (Jaycox, Tanielian 132) the Pentagon should be spending more than just 4% on an issue as big as PTSD. The figure below explains why this should be a burden in everyone’s
Open Document